Tuesday, March 22, 2005

Operation: Big Apple

Too many times when we have plans, they fall through the cracks because of things that come up in our lives. Money saved to buy big things end up being spent somewhere else. Learn to do new things? They get pushed to the back because of lack of time (or a boss who wants you to work 12 hours a day). Maybe it could be even just as simple as lacking focus. You put off calling that person to get the ball rolling on your plan, until you realize one day that it's been 2 months since you said you'd call.

Well, Let me tell you that I'm guilty of all of the above, and more. So, to that end, I've thought of a solution for my focus-related problems; By entering progress (or lack thereof) here. Codenamed: Operation Big Apple. The Objective: to move to New York by the end of the calendar year. It's almost April and I thought of moving in February. But I couldn't get my butt moving because of work taking 45 hours of my weekday and writing getting my nights. Well, this time I figured if I can write in here what I've done or not done, then I can remember to do things that need to be done. I can also see how long it's taken me to accomplish things. And best of all, it gives me another excuse to write. Like right now I'm currently at my desk typing away and I think I've already mentioned my love for getting paid while doing absolutely nothing. ALT+TAB is my favorite keystroke.

Some backstory to spend more time writing: Right after I moved to the States, I gave myself 5 years to be truly independent because that was the ultimate goal for me. Buying a car was one of my goals and I got that. But, fully sustaining myself by my own devices was the main reason I made the leap here. Having maids to cook and clean is nice but after awhile, it made me feel real dumb. I knew I could do things on my own but since they're there, might as well, you know? So when the opportunity came to move, I took it. So, even now that I'm in full loser mode, I don't ever regret the decision. Because I haven't accomplished the last thing in my five year plan. Being filthy rich was another part of the plan but I quickly ditched that. It's part of the 50 year plan, now.

So, here we are now in the 3rd and a half year (4 in June) and I feel ready to make the leap. And New York is, has, and always been the place for me. I'm not a suburban kid. I belong in the city. It also makes sense because I have family there so it's not like I'm jumping into a pool full of sharks. My friend just moved from Manila to NY and he had to get papers to make it happen. He got it all done in 4 months and now he's already working, the lucky bastard. If he can do it, god dammit I can too. And I live here.

To accomplish, I'll need to have the following done. A job and a place. Easy? Hardly. Finding a job that's 5000 miles away isn't easy. Sometimes employers won't even consider an out of state resume. I got a good suggestion from a friend to skirt around that. He mentioned paying for an address box in the city. That way, I'll have an address thereto put on hte resume but I'll be here. And all my mail that goes to that mailbox would be redirected to where I am. And it's not one of those PO Boxes. It's a real deal address. So I need to go to a UPS store to inquire about that or just check their website. I'm hesitant because it feels like lying but screw it. Anything to move. Although, if they call me on a Wednesday and ask for face time on a Thrusday, then I'm really screwed.

I also need to talk to my cousin there just to see how the market's like for jobs and an apartment. He's so freaking hard to come by because he's a chef and works ridiculously long and weird hours. I've been looking at the Times to see if they have any news about the job market like we do here on a daily basis. And of course, I need to scour the job sites like Monster and CareerBuilder for jobs and hopefully get lucky. Maybe my Aunts there know of any jobs open. Need to give them a call.

Right now, that's all I got. I don't want to mess up like the last time I tried to move. So hopefully this time it'll happen. Let me know if any of you have ideas or suggestions. I also accept criticism and "you can't do it!" speeches. Gives me more motivation.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home