Wednesday, February 23, 2005

Bonds, Eddie and Yahoo News

Evening.

News out of the Bay concerning the Giants best slugger, Barry Bonds. Today was the first time he's showed up to the media since the end of last season. Since that time, the Baseball world has been embattled and embarassed with allegations of steriod use by players during the late 90's and early 2000. Guess who's the center of the storm? By now, I'm sure we're all sick of hearing about this story so I'll save the chronology of events. But it was refreshing to hear Bonds in his conference today take on the entire media corp, many of whom he's had a hate-hate relationship over the course of his career. That's probably the best trait of Bonds that I like. His unwillingness to play the media game and just be himself. Like the man said, maybe if he smiled more and did more interviews and been buddy-buddy with the media he might have made a lot more money through endorsements, book deals, etc. but he chose the path he took. He plays Baseball and that's it. After the game, he goes home to his family. We sometimes want and expect our athletes and celebrities to act a certain away, unlike us because they are who they are. We expect them to play the part of being famous all the time and put them up in this pedestal. At the end of the day, they eat shit and piss just like you and me. If I ever see Barry or any body else in the mall or the grocery or wherever, I'd probably gawk but for the most part leave him alone. No autographs or pictures. If I were him, I'd be annoyed too. But thank god I'm not famous. You'd probably hear of a beating or shooting on the 6 o'clock news. If you've got half an hour to spare, watch his press conference here.

Speaking of reluctant stars, I just bought the Pearl Jam Touring Band 2000 DVD. Awesome stuff. It's a collection of songs from different dates on their 2000 tour. Here's another guy who didn't endear himself to the media. I remember them stop giving interviews and stop doing videos for their songs after the release of Ten. Like Barry, Eddie Vedder didn't want to do the whole rock star thing but since the album, and the band, was such a hit back then, he was forced into it. He felt it wasn't about the music anymore and despised the whole game so they stopped and just kept playing tours and make music. If memory serves me, they've only made 4 or 5 videos in their 13 year history. That's across 7 albums worth of songs and b-sides. 4 videos. Paris Hilton has more videos than these guys. He's even more guarded on his personal life than Barry. But they can still rock the house down with their great songs. I love that their song Last Kiss from 3 years ago blew up on radio when they didn't even release it as a single, just a part of the compilation made to raise money for the war torn victims of Sarajevo. Even made number 1 on the billboard singles chart. There's still hope for great songs with no hype to be recognized. It's still one of my dreams to catch these guys live. I think I was the only person in the Philippines at the time who bought their post Vitalogy album.

Newsworthy items from Yahoo that may only interest me. This first one has yet to happen to me, but you wouldn't know it from my three straight posts in three days. They even used my line from "New Power..." about everything being a potential blog post. I expect my royalties in the bank no later than Tuesday. Interesting stuff from the people interviewed for this article. I can't imagine juggling three diferent blogs at the same time. That's like having 3 girl/boy friends at the same time. You can't handle that without going insane or broke. Unless your Muslim and used to all the juggling. I do find it hard to believe that "...they spend enormous amounts of time blogging rather than living" If you don't live, even a little, what the hell are you going to write about? Your lunch everyday?

Here's an interesting one. Apprently Lorena Bobbit has fans. Those crazy Alaskans. It's the short days and long nights. God forbid this ever happens to me, but I don't think I'd be interested in getting it back, know what I mean? Especially if it's already been down the same hole crap goes. The article mentioned a "successful reattachment surgery". No mention at all if it still works. The last thing this poor guy needs is another appendix. But that's not the best part. The best part was at the end were they mention the charges for the wife. It goes Assault (pretty obvious), domestic violence (d'uh) and tampering with evidence (huh?) Tampering with evidence??? I don't even have a joke here.

And on that note, this blog addict signs off and invites you to live, express and be yourself.

And be careful with knives.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home