Monday, September 12, 2005

Back

It took me almost a month to update this space. To think that my last words were “more chiro stories tomorrow”. “Tomorrow” doesn’t mean no updates for a month. I’ll try my best to not make such promises when I plan on not updating for a month. Anyway, I’m here and to make up, this’ll be a long one.

It’s been almost a month since I’ve started going to a chiropractor and my back feels great. I get more sleep and I don’t wake up in the middle of the night anymore. My back holds up when I play golf, even when I go to the range on back-to-back nights. What I love most is that they sell themselves as an alternative to drug healing. Ever since I was small I hated drinking medicine. Back then it was because of the taste. Now it’s just trying to stay away from putting as much chemicals in my body as I can. Now, let me just say that I have nothing against drugs. My Dad works in the pharmaceutical industry and I have no qualms drinking his stuff, unless absolutely necessary. Or someone points a gun to my head, whichever comes first. Even when I have a cold, I stick to OJ and lots of water. So this works real well for me. Now I go twice a week and get my back, neck and right hand cracked and I can’t go without it.

A couple of weeks ago, the doctor took x-rays of my entire spine and found that most of my spinal column is tilted to the right, causing my left foot to be higher than my right and my bad posture. She also saw the disk bulge in my lower back (which doesn’t hurt anymore, BTW). It’s going to be along process but hopefully it pays off. I feel the positives already. I rarely get tired at all (which is a symptom of severe spinal deficiencies), in every day work and on the golf course.

Last thing about the chiro therapies. The doctor was telling me how someone can accumulate spinal decay over time and she said that it can be cause by physical stress (that’s why I’m here), chemical stress (in spades) and emotional stress (who doesn’t?). I said yes to all of that and she said, “This is going to be a long process”.

Theme for today’s post is “back”, so let’s give props to someone that just came “back”. To Barry Bonds, welcome back! As I write this, the Giants just one the game 3-4, with Bonds going 1-4 with a double that should have been a home run if not for some idiot fan. Great to have you back and, in the nicest way possible since, it’s about freakin’ time.

This past week, not only did I come back with this post, not only did Bonds come back to play some baseball, but the NFL is BACK baby!!! You know what that means. The return of the Niner notes! I was all about to start but then I thought I just wanted to enjoy this one without worrying about what to write, being a new season and a new era and all. My thoughts on the new team will come next week, while they get trashed by the Eagles. For now, I thought I’ll just enjoy this one and wouldn’t you know it, they put up a great, exciting win against the rival St. Louis Rams 28-25. QB played efficient, the running game was still anemic but it was the defense that saved the day, intercepting the last gasp pass from the Rams QB Marc Bulger. Note to self: as soon as they sign outside linebacker Julian Peterson to a long term contract, get his jersey ASAP. Great win for the faithful.

Slightly off topic, but as you know Sunday was the 4th anniversary of 9/11. All around the country, people paid they’re respects to the people that died on that faithful day 4 years ago at the hands of the cowards that took over those planes. As it happens, the day fell right on opening day of the NFL and I just heard today that some talking heads questioned why the NFL would go ahead with opening day on the anniversary of opening day. To which I say, bullshit. Not because I’m a biased fan of football, but because you just had to see the faces of the 50,000 that were in the stands that day in Candlestick Park, and all around the stadiums. At its heart, sports provide a distraction from the everyday problems that us normal folks go to. And, there’s not a greater showing that we will continue our normal lives, without fear from you cowards than to enjoy a game that is as American as apple pie.

I hope you said a prayer on Sunday and to never forget what that day means to you and to every American that had to live through it, and to everyone that died today. I also hope that you continue living your life to the fullest, and to live everyday like it’s the last. Cheesier words have never been spoken, but at the same time, truer words have never been spoken.

Finally, if you haven’t given in any way shape or form to the Hurricane Katrina aid, please to do so. Here’s the link to the red cross web page were you can donate monetarily, or your time to the relief effort (I thought about it). At the very very least, it’ll make you and some person in New Orleans very very happy. I know this means little but I just want to share something. To anyone that doesn’t believe what I said above, they showed on ESPN on Sunday a clip of refugees displaced at the Houston Astrodome, where they live in small sleeping bags, not knowing when they might be able to go home, if ever. When the New Orleans Saints football team (displaced themselves, since their home the Superdome was used for the initial housing of the refugees) scored that last minute field goal to win, on the road against a very good Carolina Panthers team, the place just erupted with cheers. Read that last sentence again and let it sink in for a minute. These people have no home and have been treated badly for the past couple of weeks (don’t get me started on that), and yet when the local pro football team pulls out a win that no one thought they’d be able to accomplish (and rightfully so), they all cheer and celebrate the win. Amazing. And let me just say, for the record, that you will not hear me whine or moan or rant about my life. Nobody should. Compare to what these people had to go through, we have it made.

In time, the city will rebuild and be back, hopefully better than ever and, more importantly better prepared to withstand another hurricane. For now, we have to do our part to make sure they get to that point. But I have no doubt that they will, and can.

Back for more tomorrow. Promise.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home