Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Kid Again

Stuck in a meeting again and my golf swing is slow to come around. And yet, today was a happy day. Why? Because when I go home tonight, I'll be 5 years old again.

Bought a boatload of stuff at Best Buy today, highlights of which were the Thundercats Season 1 and He-Man DVD (!!!!! I'm getting so giddy just thinking about it) I was in front of the new release section and the He-man DVD caught my eye first. As soon as I saw it I had to do a double take. When reality set in and I was holding 10 classic episodes, I screamed at the top of my lungs HOLY SHIT!!! The girl next to me gave me this look. You know, that one with one eyebrow raised. So I quickly walked away and checked out the TV section, hoping that they have the complete season or at least another 80's cartoon DVD. And by the way, I still can't believe how these things could have passed me by. Sure enough, there was the Thundercats at the very bottom.

How the hell could the most influential cartoons of the 80's been released on DVD and not one site on the 'net carries this as big news? This should have it's own Times or Newsweek cover story. As soon as I got back to my desk, I checked out the internet and hoped to God that The Mask (not the green faced dude, but the guys with cool cars that are controlled by their masks) hasn't been turned to DVD yet. I saw one on Amazon but only users had it so it might be bootlegs. Phew, for a second there, I thought I'd have to go on a killing spree.

This brings up a whole 'nother topic: Why aren't classic Filipino TV shows on DVD? What price would you pay to have 50 episodes of Iskul Bukol on DVD? 100$? I'd pay that in a heartbeat. The old TVJ shows? (Vienna Sausage, Boooooooys CHOIR!) Palibhasa Lalake?? The first few Bubble Gang shows?? You can't even find bootlegs unless you count the copy in Betamax that your buddy has stashed in the closet. Why hasn't this happened yet? Are you telling me this won't sell like hot cakes? There's not a single good show on TV now. You telling me people won't just skip your new crap and watch the oldies show how it's done? You can even throw the massa a bone and sell a 10 DVD box set of all the seasons of Mara Clara. If they put in the extras outtakes of Judy Ann and Gladys Reyes slapping each other silly, I might just steal that (just that one DVD with all the extras :) ) Somebody should start making noise and get those shows on DVD. They're putting all those crappy movies on DVD, why can't they do the same for TV?

Now if you'll excuse me, I've to go home and re-discover my inner child.

2 Comments:

Blogger karlmd said...

thundercats and he man?! wow. i really envy you. haha. but tvj and palibhasa lalake on dvd? ermmm... haha! come to think of it, sometimes, it really is just way too fun to be all out jologs. after all, i genuinely liked the show palibhasa (back when the cast was smaller, when they were in the older house; as they got older and the cast bigger, ie more people, the jokes just became too green, i guess).

4:59 AM  
Blogger Ryan said...

It's a great way to get the jologs in all of us out of our system. Agree with you, I'll probably only get the first few episodes. Once the cast got as huge as Anna Nicole's boobs, the jokes got lamer and lamer. There's another DVD I'd like to see made and I only thought about it after the fact. Wouldn't it be cool if they had a "Best of the Thursday Group" That's Entertainment special?? Highest of high comedy. Seeing the ridiculous wardrobe alone would be worth the price.

5:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home